SICB AIDS Education for Teenagers Project (since 1994)
SICB AIDS Education for Teenagers Project is a prevention program, designed specifically for adolescents taking into consideration cultural and religious sensitivities and in particular psychosocial aspects of this age group.
It is implemented in a one-day workshop using an interactive approach to cover 3 topics:
- AIDS Information
- Health & Relationships
- Care & Support
The workshop is based on the program set out in the Training Manual compiled by SICB, and aims to educate teenagers who will in turn educate their peers.
What We Have Done
Since the launch of the SICB AIDS EDUCATION FOR TEENAGERS PROJECT in 1994, SICB has made positive changes in the lives of many adolescents through the many workshops conducted by volunteer facilitators. Apart from conducting the workshops in schools, SICB has also shared the project with other SI Clubs and NGOs with the hope to reach out to more teenagers nationwide.
To-date, the committee has:
- Organized an AIDS Charity Dinner in 1994 to raise fund to finance the project. At present, the SICB AIDS PROJECT is still operating under this fund.
- Spent 15 months to compile a Training Manual in 3 languages (English, Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia).
- Conducted first pilot Teenagers Workshop in June 1996, followed numerous regular workshops for teenagers, young adults, adults (especially women), and parents.
- The project has been adopted by other SI Clubs namely SI Penang, SI Kuantan, SI Johor Bahru and SI Seremban.
- Conducted HIV/AIDS workshops in China, Inner Mongolia and Singapore.
- Shared the Training Manual with NGOs doing similar task in USA, Australia, UK, India, Korea, Taiwan, HongKong, China, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, Inner Mongolia and Africa.
- Committed support from various NGOs and communities, amongst them are Malaysia AIDS Council, Community AIDS Services Penang, Family Planning of Malaysia, Federal Territory Student Counselors Association and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall.
- Participated in the International Congress on AIDS in Asia Pacific in year 1999 and 2006.
- Initiated and co-organised the First Inter-Varsity AIDS Conference (IVAC-1) with the undergraduates of Kolej Za’ba, University Malaya (UM) in March 2002. After the success of the First IVAC, it has been endorsed by UM as an annual event.
- Produced and staged an educational drama entitled “Sex Education by Ah Wong” at several occasions / functions.
- Sponsored the AIDS charity drama “Journey of Love” in 2006 at Actors Studio Bangsar.
- Conducted numerous Train The Trainers workshops for individuals who are keen to take part in the AIDS education work as workshop facilitators.
- Edited and updated the SICB AIDS Education for Teenagers Training Manual with multimedia presentation.
- Co-organised the first Inter-College AIDS Conference at Help University College in December 2007 in conjunction with World AIDS Day.